Remember when “preppy” was an insult? I sure don’t. That was from our parents’ generation–the hippies born after the Baby Boom who decided it was solidly uncool to, you know, wear pastels, care about their appearance, join a fraternity, or do anything that was seen to be part of “the establishment.” Thankfully for us, preppy is once again back in style, and boys remembered how to dress. We’ve come a long way since Cher Horowitz’s era of greasy hair and baggy pants.
But for some, preppy never went out of style, because it wasn’t a style. It was life. Those denizens of Connecticut and other parts of New England, Virginia, the Carolinas, and so on who grew up in Patagonia vests and Vineyard Vines polos, with names like Chase and Branson and Ambrose and Chet and–sorry, I kind of started drooling a little bit, my bad.
If you’re a prospective student and you want an elite, exclusive college experience, you might want to consider one of these schools for your four (or more) year education. Or, if you actually go to one of these schools, raise a sifter of brandy to your alma mater and try not to throw the glass at Jarvis when you’re done–the poor old butler’s back is going, you see, and he just can’t move as quickly as he used to.
In no particular order, these are the 12 preppiest colleges in the country according to Thrillist:
- Middlebury College – Middlebury, VT
- Williams College – Williamstown, MA
- Miami University – Oxford, OH
- Dartmouth College – Hannover, NH
- Pepperdine University – Malibu, CA
- Elon University – Elon, NC
- The University of Virginia – Charlottesville, VA
- Hampden-Sydney College – Hampden Sydney, VA
- Trinity College – Hartford, CT
- Sewanee: The University of The South – Sewanee, TN
- Vanderbilt University – Nashville, TN
- Princeton University – Princeton, NJ
Think your college belongs on the list? Let us know..