We read the stories. We saw the tweets. We even turned on the news to see if it was true. Despite wishing and hoping it was all a big joke, it seems the reports are accurate. Last night, around 7 p.m. EST, the Internet blew up and hearts broke all across the world as news spread of Robin Williams’ untimely death.
This is the man who we were raised with. Williams, 63, was a brilliant man who could perform the crudest, most hysterical standup for our parents, and then enchant us as Genie in Aladdin. He made us laugh, and he showed us how to look at the beauty in life. His eyes twinkled with warmth, compassion, and understanding, and something about him made us feel as if he understood us. He was filled with a childlike sense of purpose we all yearned for, and he had a way that made us feel like he was our friend. Because he was.
His wife, Susan Schneider, released the following statement yesterday:
“This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin’s family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin’s death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.”
So, here at TSM, we decided to honor his wife’s wishes and celebrate just how amazing Robin Williams really was. Here are a few of our favorite quotes by a man who touched so many lives–and funny bones.
- “You know what music is? God’s little reminder that there’s something else besides us in this universe; harmonic connection between all living beings, everywhere, even the stars.” –August Rush
- “I’m sorry, if you were right, I’d agree with you.” –Awakenings
- “It’s all part and parcel of the whole genie gig: phenomenal cosmic powers, itty bitty living space.” –Aladdin
- “Cocaine is God’s way of telling you you are making too much money.”
- “See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.”
- “Yes, divorce, from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man’s genitals through his wallet.”
- “No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.” –Dead Poets Society
- “You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.”
- “What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.”
- “My wife used to fart when she was nervous. She had all sorts of wonderful little idiosyncrasies. She used to fart in her sleep. I thought I’d share that with you. One night it was so loud it woke the dog up. She woke up and went, ‘Ah was that you?’ And I didn’t have the heart to tell her. Ah…! But Will, she’s been dead for two years, and that’s the shit I remember–wonderful stuff, you know? Little things like that. Those are the things I miss the most. The little idiosyncrasies that only I know about. That’s what made her my wife. Oh, she had the goods on me, too, she knew all my little peccadilloes. People call these things imperfections, but they’re not. Ah, that’s the good stuff.” –Good Will Hunting
- “Reality is just a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs.”
- “I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel alone.”
- “If women ruled the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.”
- “Reality: what a concept!”
- “Do you think that God gets stoned? I think so…look at the platypus.”
- “You must strive to find your own voice because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all.” –Dead Poets Society
- “A woman would never make a nuclear bomb. They would never make a weapon that kills, no, no. They’d make a weapon that makes you feel bad for a while.”
- “The world is open for play, [that] everything and everybody is mockable, in a wonderful way.”
- “The things we fear the most have already happened to us.” –One Hour Photo
- “You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to.” –Good Will Hunting
- “You don’t know about real loss because it only occurs when you’ve loved something more than you love yourself.” –Good Will Hunting
- “Most of all, I want to thank my father, up there, the man who when I said I wanted to be an actor, he said, ‘Wonderful. Just have a back-up profession, like welding.’ “
- “Seize the day. Because, believe it or not, each and every one of us in this room is one day going to stop breathing, turn cold, and die.” –Dead Poets Society
- “You’ll always be a prince to me.” –Aladdin
Rest in peace to a man who will always be able to make us ponder life as we laugh our asses off at the same time. You will be greatly missed, but never forgotten.
[via Business Insider]
Image via Shutterstock