I’m a sucker for love stories. It doesn’t matter how unrealistic, badly rated, or cheesy they are — I just can’t get enough. I love love. The kisses, the lingering hugs, the unexpected smiles and the way it makes you feel inside. There’s a reason it’s the focus of every song in the freaking world. So when I came across a thread on Reddit where people talked about all of the little things that made them feel loved, I sat back, grabbed some tissues, and got ready to feel everything.
And boy, they did not dissapoint. From Reddit:
- My girlfriend tries to stay awake until I come home. I tend to work a lot of late nights, but she’s more of an “early to bed, early to rise” kinda girl, so she always tries to stay awake so she can at least say good night. She’s studying abroad right now, and she still tries to stay awake until I come home from work so we can skype goodnight 🙂
- When we’re both cranky for silly or small reasons, but we’re cranky together, not at each other. It reminds me we’re always partners, never adversaries.
- The other day I was having a really bad day. Just sad and upset and generally horrible. So we’re laying in bed watching TV and during a break, he goes to the kitchen for whatever reason. When he gets back he hands me a burnt marshmallow on a stick. Because he knows how much I love burnt marshmallows and that it would make me happy. Needless to say, my day was instantly better and I love that guy a lot.
- We’ve been dating for five years and we have always gotten Cherry Coke as a drink if we are sharing. A few months ago we went to the movies and he came back, as per usual, with Cherry Coke. I said I was glad that we both loved that soda the most and he replied, “I actually don’t really like Cherry Coke but I get it because it’s your favorite and you like to share.” I can’t wait to call this man my husband next September.
- My wife loves pickles. They are her favorite food in the world. When she buys pickles, she buys two jars so that there is never the possibility of running out. If we run out of pickles, it is a BFD.When we first started dating, back before I learned about her pickle obsession, I stole the last slice of pickle from her plate. I pulled the “HEY, Whats that over there?” and pointed wildly. YOINK. Pickle gone. She was LIVID. Absolutely furious that I had eaten the last pickle in the house. For WEEKS, every day she mentioned the pickle. Years passed, and she’d still make comments along the lines of “Well at least you didn’t eat the last pickle. OH WAIT.” etc. It’s been 9 years since the pickle debacle. My wife, being 9 months pregnant has been having insane pickle cravings. Yesterday, she gave me the last slice of pickle in the house and said “I love you this much.”
- Holding hands. Doesn’t matter if it’s at home or when we’re walking around, it’s a constant reminder.
- My grandparents were married for 62 years and they would sit in their respective chairs watching tv and be holding hands across the gap between them. It was the most loving thing I ever saw, and so subtle.
- Whenever I do something goofy she makes this one face where her dimples sort of scrunch up and her eyes light up. She knows I like to drink coffee out of dark mugs so she always tries to give me those ones. She’ll randomly hug me from behind. She plays with my hair when I’m tired. She’ll put her hair up because she knows I think her ears are adorable.
- The way he still looks at me. When I get out of the shower and there’s lunch waiting for me. How some nights he wakes up in the middle of the night and pulls me closer to him because I’ve moved too far away or even when he pulls me closer in all situations. How he lays in bed with me every morning even though he’d rather go sit on the couch and wake up. The sacrifices he makes for me every day. That he tries his best to make sure I am smiling. He’s always there when I need him no matter the time or place. There are so many things that he does every day to let me know he loves me. Ah. He is just…a perfect match for me. We have our rough times and we get frustrated with each other, but he always treats me with kindness, respect, and love no matter what mood he is in. We always make sure to communicate our problems and at the end of most days we go to bed with a smile on our faces.
- I am a night owl and my bf usually goes to bed before me, but no matter how asleep he is, even if he was just snoring a second ago, no matter how quietly I say I love you, he always says I love you too. The way he rushes home from work, that he never leaves the house without giving me a kiss. That he tells people how even after 5 yrs, 3 of which we didn’t work and lived in the middle of nowhere (to write books) and saw each other and no one else sometimes for a week or more, that I’m still the most interesting person he has ever known.
- Whenever I smile and she says “There’s that smile that I love so much” after I’ve been upset. Even when her day has been terrible, she goes out of her way to make mine even better to balance it out. When she takes pictures of me making funny faces when she thinks I’m not paying attention. When she looks into my eyes and tells me she loves me before we go to bed, and I can hear it in her voice. I could never shower this woman with enough love and affection to show her how much I appreciate the little things she does for me, but that doesn’t stop me from trying.
- When he warms the sheets in the dryer and tucks me in when I’ve had an awful day. When I’m in the tub and he just sits on the floor and hangs out with me because he wants to talk. When I wake up and he’s already looking at me and smiling. When he traces the freckles on my shoulders with his fingertips when I’m anxious. When he brings me a glass of water every night before bed. When he cleans the gross gunk that gets stuck in the kitchen sink (because it legitimately frightens me). Whenever. I know he loves me. I am very lucky.
- The way she smiles after I kiss her. It’s always the little things.
- When he wakes up in the middle of the night and kisses me while still half asleep. That makes me feel like even when he’s semi-conscious he wants to show me he loves me.
- He always tries to give me the last bite of whatever we’re sharing, even if it’s insanely delicious. We also have tickle fights (I usually lose) and when I’m finally done giggling, he looks at me with this adoring face that makes me feel so loved.
- I actually had a moment today that made me realize that my husband loves me so much. I have decided to get into shape and asked him to exercise with me today. We did a lot of walking, jogging and steps today. I am horribly out of shape and got tired so quickly and wanted to stop (but really wanted to keep going). He started to pretend to be a zombie after me. I know it sounds stupid, but he made it fun and made me want to keep going. Instead of just giving up and going home, he took the time to chase after me and make zombie noises. So I found out two things: one, my husband loves me and two, I would not survive in a zombie apocalypse.
- Every morning, my wife of 18 years gets up before me and makes coffee. She doesn’t drink coffee.
This featured image is a stock photo from our database. The people photographed are not in any way associated with the story.