1. NO PARENTS, NO RULES. But really.
2. The excitement that comes with the total uncertainty of recruitment.
3. Learning that there’s more to
life drink than wine coolers.
4. An entire school filled with age-appropriate bachelors you haven’t embarrassed yourself in front of yet.
5. Being “welcomed home” on bid day by 100 girls you’ve barely met, but somehow knowing this is exactly where you’re supposed to be right now.
6. Bid party — the only time there will be more guys than girls at a party, and knowing that they’re there to celebrate you.
7. Becoming accustomed to shitty alcohol, and not caring because it all tastes the same on the way back up.
8. Kidnappings arranged by your big during clue week.
9. The awe-inspiring magic…orrrrr downright creepiness mixed with stifled laughter (depending on your chapter) that is initiation.
10. The awe-inspiring amount of alcohol you consume at your family initiation…the one that really matters.
11. Breaking up with your boyfriend. Just kidding. Kind of.
12. Staying up all night drinking at a party, where bras are hanging from the chandelier and beer showers down on you with 500 strangers.
13. Staying up all night studying with your friends until the point of delirious laughter, and realizing at that moment that these will be your best friends for life.
14. Getting heckled and having NO CLUE how everyone knows you’re a freshman.
15. Meeting the coolest girl you’ve ever met in your entire life, then finding out she’s your big.
16. Your first wild, semi-slutty, semi-regrettable, but totally worth it hookup with an older guy who knows what he’s doing.
17. A looooot of microwavable meals — in fact, this is your first stop on a long, long journey filled with microwavable meals.
18. Walking into the football stadium for the first time, trying to conceal your giddiness by way of blackout.
19. Performance-enhancing drugs changing your life, or at least your ability to be productive organically.
20. Chicken nugget night in the dining hall.
21. The pure bliss that washes over you when you realize that if you don’t feel like going to school that day, you just don’t go.
22. An unrivaled level of panic the first time a bouncer checks your fake ID.
23. Dancing on the
occasional frequent table.
24. The best week of your life, big/little week, filled with presents, letters, baked goods, surprises and glitter. So much glitter.
25. Knowing that this is just the beginning.